Monday, July 05, 2010

Sarah's Pregnancy Diary - Part Six

Building Blues…or Pinks!

We’ve been busy looking at properties so that we can build a house. I love the area where we live – most beach areas in California have houses or condos packed along the beach. This area is different;, we have a bit of distance between the properties which makes it more private and I definitely want my privacy and so does Adam.

This spot is perfect, except that as the house sits now there is NO way to expand it besides to build upward and the architectural style of the house won’t really support that. It is built to sit down in the cliff face which is awesome, but doesn’t really allow much to change on it. The arms of the cliff sort of form a ‘C’ around the house and that is very limiting.

We consulted an architect and an engineer about the house. IF we tore it down and IF we removed part of the cliff to the south we could build right here again. The house could be expanded (we could keep it to three floors still) but it would be spread out and rearranged to fit into the cliff and still have the views and the patio area that we love. We could get 5 bedrooms in that way with the den still being a convertible room and maybe the patio room as well if we needed it.
We’ve also decided to use green technology to build the house. It will cost a bit more to start with but we will be happier in the long run. Adam has decided that maybe the internet isn’t so bad now that he is immersed in research for all the many types of building green. It seems as if every hour or so he comes to me with a new idea such as in-ground water storage tanks and water heater’s that only heat water as you need it. And let’s not even go into the whole ‘green’ building materials debate!

So, we made our decision and this is what we are going to do. But time is fairly short; I’m 10 weeks along now so Adam is already working on the situation. First we need to find a condo for the next few months because Adam wants them working on the new house non-stop so that it will be ready when we bring the baby home. The architect is already working on the plans; the engineers are surveying and planning too. Mover’s will come in and move everything out and hopefully the house will be ready for demolition next week. IF we can find a place to go for the duration of the re-build .

Tamara is helping with that which we really appreciate. We’re going to go back to Wichita too. This is a good time for me to arrange for the sale of the house to Bobby and get the things from it I want to bring with me. I talked to Lissa about how she felt about that since she is going to be at KU Med in Wichita in the fall. If she wanted the house I would have given it to her but she really is okay with Bobby taking it. Actually I think she may be considering transferring out her to USC to finish her last year and to work ondo her internship. I know I don’t have to tell you all how much that idea excites me but there would be a lot to do for that to happen. She got the full-ride to KU Med this next year and we don’t know if she could do the same here but she is checking it all out.

Things are working out so well – I’m the luckiest woman alive!


mum said...

Aww..she sounds so positive and excited. Must be feeling a bit better. Great post! mum

Kristin said...

Our little Sarah and Adam are nesting in a big way! Can't wait to see the finished product! A long overdue hello to Hope and the Hopies!!!